A Community Interest Company. Limited by Guarantee
“Change is inevitable in life. From birth to end of life, a person goes through endless twists, shifts and conditions on a journey to discover his/her 'true-self'. Just as the butterfly morphs from egg to larvae to pupa (cocoon) and from cocoon it emerges beautifully spread out.”
Who we are
Changing Chapters is a not-for-profit community interest company based in London and is backed by the Lloyds Bank Social Entrepreneur Programme. We support children (from age 4 years and up), young people and vulnerable adults, through bereavement, grief, loss and related mental, emotional and health problems.
Changing Chapters provides fast access (within 48 hours) to counselling and psychotherapy for children or young people, and vulnerable adults who need crisis or long term intervention to deal with the trauma of bereavement, grief and loss. We specialise in providing 3-way triangular support for the child or young person in collaboration with home parent/carer/significant family member, the school-teacher and other agencies in the community.
Access to Service
The service is accessed by making an appointment on phone, sending an e-mail, or visiting our website and completing a short form. We accept self-referrals including students in training, *child referral by a significant adult, referrals from GP's, Schools and local agencies and organizations. We accept commisioned work tailored to client needs and also open to collaboration and partnership with organizations with similar objectives and agender.
We endeavour to offer patients/clients an appointment within two weeks of contact to alleviate unnecessary pain and anxiety.
How counselling/therapy can help
People seek counselling or Psychotherapy for different reasons. It may be that you have suffered a bereavement or loss, feeling low or withdrawn, in distress or anxious, you can't cope anymore or seeking clarity about changes in your life, behaviour patterns and your relationship with others, or perhaps you have noticed changes in your child's behaviour patterns at school/home or you just need to talk to someone who will listen to you attentively without feeling, exposed, ashamed, judged or criticised.
You may give us a call and we would be happy to make the journey with you and together we can explore the things that you find difficult that are troubling you.
A list of issues that I covered is available on the right column:
What we offer
- An initial 1 hour assessment/consultation session either at the client’s home, centre or school.
- Regular weekly sessions are offered within 2 weeks of initial assessment, once the therapist and client both agree and are happy to work. Alternative services may be referred as appropriate.
- Weekly 1 hour one-on-one open-ended sessions focused on psychodynamic counselling techniques.
- Short term time limited weekly sessions (8 – 12 sessions).
- Medium to long term weekly sessions (16 – 24 sessions).
- You will be expected to pay for your sessions, including any missed sessions unless 48 hours cancellation notice has been given to your counsellor/therapist. This is to help us maintain your regular appointment time for the duration of your therapy and offer efficient service to all who need it.
- Regular small support groups lasting for 10 weeks (age groups 13-15, 16-18, 25-30+, 35- 55 and 55+).
- Coffee mornings in schools with parents and carers.
- Chill Zone group sessions for children and young people in schools and colleges for open discussion, resolving conflicts, buddy building exercises, building self-confidence and tackling bullying.
Training and Workshops:
- Targeted training and workshop to empower friends, families, teachers, key workers, social care and community organizations that play a supportive role to the children, young people and vulnerable adults. (call us for more information about our pakaged training and workshops).